Ignite Showcase 2021
A special virtual event, Ignite Showcase 2021 (sponsored in part by The Analytical, Life Science & Diagnostic Association) will showcase the SLAS2021 Ignite Award winner, and provide inspiration and advice on managing a start-up, from funding options to business plans to the importance of diversity.
While 2020 has presented unique challenges and changes to the traditional business landscape, start-up companies have faced even bigger hurdles in trying to grow their businesses. The SLAS Ignite Showcase 2021 will introduce the company receiving the 2021 Ignite Award as well several panels discussing the motives and challenges of starting and scaling a start-up.
Additionally, newly appointed SLAS Scientific Director Marshall Brennan, Ph.D., will moderate an interactive discussion on the concerns of early start-ups and important questions to ask.
Explore the event schedule below:
Panel Discussion: Driving Entrepreneurial Success
- Moderator: Michelle Arkin, Ph.D.
- Maddalena Adorno, Ph.D., CEO, Dorian Therapeutics
- Kursad Araz, Ph.D., Correlia Biosystems (SLAS2020 Ignite Award Winner)
- Jesus Soriano Molla, M.D., Ph.D., MBA, Program Director for Partnerships for Innovation (PFI) program in the Division of Industrial Innovation and Partnerships (IIP) at National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Ela Mirowski, Ph.D., Program Director, SBIR/STTR program in the Division of Industrial Innovation and Partnerships (IIP) at NSF
Panel Discussion: Launching and Growing a Start-up in the Time of a Pandemic
- Moderator: Cathy Tralau-Stewart, Ph.D.
- Sarah Lively, Ph.D., Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson and Johnson
- Gary Pace, Ph.D., J.D., Cell Microsystems
- Mitchell Mutz, Ph.D., Codon Capital
- Ethan Perlstein, Ph.D., Perlara
Interactive Discussion: So, you have the technology…What’s your biggest fear?
- Moderator: Marshall Brennan, Ph.D.
- What do you do now? If you’ve got an early startup, what is the best approach? There are so many questions! How do you get it funded? How do you move it forward? Is an industry partnership a better option than creating an early industry start-up? Is getting grants/SBIR better? So, you are funded already? Preserving cash vs. going for it in these uncertain times -- which do I do? How do I fund?
- When do I fund? How bold am I? In this live interactive discussion with the audience, we’ll be exploring pros and cons of the many options start-ups have to choose from.
2021 Ignite Award Winner Presentation
- The 2021 Ignite Award Winner is Artificial, Inc. The SLAS Ignite Award is sponsored by the Pistoia Alliance.