To register for or participate in SLAS events, submit content such as an abstract, volunteer or take advantage of any of the Society’s products and services, you must create an SLAS Member Profile, which automatically creates an account with SLAS. You will receive email confirmation with details on how to log in and indicate your communication preferences.
Your personal data privacy is important to SLAS. When you create this account with SLAS, your personal data is processed in accordance with the appropriate SLAS Privacy Notice — non-European Union/non-United Kingdom Residents (below) OR European Union or United Kingdom Residents.
If you are creating an SLAS account on behalf of someone else, you attest that you have that individual's permission to make choices on their behalf. Note: That individual will receive an email confirmation of this activity along with a copy of the SLAS Privacy Notice.
Privacy Notice For Non-European Union and Non-United Kingdom Residents
For residents of the European Union or United Kingdom, please view this Privacy Notice.
- Our Commitment to Privacy
Your privacy is important to the Society for Laboratory Automation and Screening ("SLAS"). To allow you to better protect your privacy we provide this Privacy Notice explaining our online information practices and the choices you can make about the way your information is collected and used when you visit our web site, located at www.slas.org ("Site"). To make this Privacy Notice easy to find, we make it available on our homepage and at every point where personally identifiable information may be requested.
- Privacy Notice Changes
SLAS reserves the right to amend, modify or change this Privacy Notice at any time. Any amendment, modification or change will be posted on the Site’s homepage and at every point where personally identifiable information may be requested and will be effective when posted. Accordingly, we urge you to check the date of our Privacy Notice periodically to see if it has been amended, modified or changed in any way. This Privacy Notice was last updated on October 4, 2010.
- Non-Personally Identifiable Information SLAS Collects
You may browse our Site and learn more about SLAS and our programs without revealing personally identifiable information (i.e., information that reveals your identity such as your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address). When you browse our Site, we may collect non-personally identifiable information such as your type of operating system and browser, your IP address, and the date, time, and pages you visit. This information does not tell us your identity. We use this information to help design and improve our Site.
- Personally Identifiable Information SLAS Collects
SLAS does not collect personally identifiable information from you when you simply browse our Site. We do not collect any personally identifiable information about you unless you voluntarily submit such information to us by, for example, becoming a SLAS member; registering for an SLAS conference, course, program, or event; subscribing to a SLAS publication; registering as an SLAS sponsor or event exhibitor, or submitting a paper to SLAS for publication. The types of personally identifiable information that may be requested from you include, but are not limited to, your name, address, company name, company address, e-mail address, telephone number, personal demographic information, and payment/billing information. Whether you provide such personally identifiable information is always your choice. However, if you choose not to provide your personally identifiable information you may not be able to access or utilize certain aspects of the Site or register through the Site.
- How SLAS Uses Your Personally Identifiable Information
- GENERALLY. In general, SLAS uses personally identifiable information you provide for the reasons you intended, such as providing you with information, goods, or services you requested or to process a transaction you authorized. We may also use your personally identifiable information to communicate with you about SLAS and our programs as well as information about programs, events, activities, goods, or services that we think may be of interest to you. In the case of SLAS members, we may publish some of your personally identifiable information in our membership directory. We may also use your personally identifiable information to provide you with information about other organizations, programs, events, activities, goods, or services that we think may be of interest to you.
- Contractors. We may share or disclose personally identifiable information you provide us with contractors who assist us with our activities and programs. Contractors help us with functions such as managing our data, designing and hosting our Site, promoting SLAS and its programs, processing program and membership registrations, and program planning and implementation. We will only provide our contractors with the information they need to perform their responsibilities and prohibit them from using that information for any other purpose.
- Third party disclosures. We may share or disclose personally identifiable information you provide to third parties, whose privacy practices are not covered by this Privacy Notice, that want to market products or services to you. SLAS provides you with the opportunity to opt out of such third party disclosures at the time your personally identifiable information is collected. In addition, as discussed below, using your User ID and Password you may access your personally identifiable information through the Site and change your preferences in this regard.
- Legal. We may use, share, and disclose your personally identifiable information and non-personally identifiable information in connection with any merger, acquisition, debt financing, sale, transfer, or assignment of all or any part of our assets, as well as in the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy or receivership in which personally identifiable information could be transferred to third parties as one of our business assets. We may use, share, and disclose your personally identifiable information if we determine we are legally required to do so. Finally, we may use, share, and disclose your personally identifiable information to enforce any SLAS agreement, right, or policy; to defend SLAS property or safety or that of our users or contractors; or to prevent any illegal, unlawful, abusive, or fraudulent use of the Site.
When you view our Site we store some information on your computer. This information will be in the form of a "cookie" or similar file. Cookies are small pieces of information stored on your hard drive, not on our Site. Cookies do not spy on you or otherwise invade your privacy, and they cannot invade your hard drive and steal information. Rather, they help you navigate our Site as easily as possible. Cookies allow us, among other things, to store your preferences and settings; provide interest-based advertising; and analyze how our services are performing. We also use web beacons to help deliver cookies and gather usage and performance data about our products and services. Our services may include web beacons and cookies from third-party service providers. A pixel tag, also known as a clear GIF or web beacon, is an invisible tag placed on certain pages of the Site but not on your computer. When you access these pages, pixel tags generate a generic notice of that visit. They usually work in conjunction with cookies, registering when a particular computer visits a particular page. If you turn off cookies the pixel tag will simply detect an anonymous Site visit and certain features of the Site may not be available.
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, we have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
- Our Commitment to Children's Privacy
Protecting the privacy of the very young is important to SLAS. For that reason, SLAS never collects or maintains information at our Site form those we actually know are under 13 years of age, and no part of our Site is structured to attract anyone less than 13 years of age. If we discover we have inadvertently received information from a child under the age of 13 we will delete it.
- Links to Other Web Sites
Our Site contains links to other web sites. SLAS is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such web sites. We strongly encourage you to review the privacy policies and practices of such linked web sites.
- Access, Correct, and Manage Your Personally Identifiable Information
When you are asked to provide personally identifiable information, you will be asked to create a User ID and Password. You may come to the Site at any time and utilizing your User ID and Password access and correct your personally identifiable information or manage your preferences regarding our use of the same. You may also access and correct your personally identifiable information or manage your preferences regarding our use of the same by contacting SLAS through e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by telephone at 1.630.256.SLAS (7527).
- How to Opt-Out of Receiving Electronic Communications From SLAS
At the bottom of any e-mail or other electronic communication you receive from SLAS there will be a mechanism allowing you to opt-out of receiving additional e-mails or other electronic communications from SLAS. You may also opt-out of receiving additional e-mails or other electronic communication by sending an e-mail to email@example.com or by contacting SLAS at 1.630.256.SLAS (7527) and making this request.
- Blogs, Social Networks, and Other Public Forums
Please be aware that when you voluntarily post information to a listserv, blog, social network site, or any other public forum, that information is public information and not confidential. Accordingly, you are urged to exercise caution when posting information. SLAS is not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to post in a public forum.
- How to Contact Us
If you have any questions or concerns about our Privacy Notice, the privacy practices of this Site, or your dealings with this Site, you can contact SLAS by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 1.630.256.SLAS (7527).